Welcome to Acre
We are a team of dedicated individuals who are passionate about seeing equality, diversity and equal opportunity for everyone in our town’s communities. We celebrate the vibrancy of Reading’s diversity, multi-ethnicity, multiculturalism, and at the same time we challenge some of the more deep-rooted cultural traditions, practices that are unacceptable in our modern society.
We promote equality, diversity and community cohesion. We are here to serve our many clients and communities.
We are keen to make a positive difference for the many different communities in our town. If you have an interest in matters of equality and diversity, then why not come and work with us and see if we can make a difference together?
Who is Acre?
Acre is the Alliance for Cohesion and Racial Equality. Acre was established to promote equality, diversity, equal opportunity and community cohesion throughout the Greater Reading area.
Acre’s mission is to eliminate discrimination, promote positive relationships between different communities, and advocate equal opportunities for all.
Acre opposes segregation, bigotry and extremism. As such our core values are:
Respect | Rights | Responsibilities | Inclusiveness | No Victimisation | Fairness | Justice | Equal Opportunities | Empowerment | Education | Sustainability |
- To promote equality across the nine protected characteristics outlined in the Equality Act 2010.
- To promote community cohesion through integration, engagement and empowerment.
- To create a centre for promoting Equality across the 9 protected strands, including:
- Setting up the Equality Alliance and Hate Crime Forum in partnership with voluntary and community organisations
- Improving Advocacy across the equality characteristics
- Developing bespoke training and consultancy packages across the equality spectrum
- Engaging with the Local Strategic Partnership
- To create an environment to promote all aspects of community cohesion, including:
- Embracing Diversity & Community Cohesion
- Integration: Promoting Interaction between different people and community groups
- Community Engagement & Empowerment
The primary objectives of the service are:
- To encourage understanding and support for marginalised communities
- To counteract barriers to participation in marginalised communities
- To work with and support community leaders to reach into marginalised communities
- To challenge and change behaviours that prevent engagement with the local community
- To help identify and tackle local issues
- To encourage engagement with mainstream groups and service by signposting and referral where appropriate
- To provide a resource for local agencies that supports their engagement with and understanding of marginalised communities
- KPI 1 – To create a focal point for promoting equality across the 9 protected characteristics
- KPI 2 – To create an environment to promote all aspects of community cohesion
- KPI 3 – To provide a community-led hate crime forum that works in partnership with agencies tackling hate crime
- KPI 4 – To demonstrate the additional value provided by local voluntary organisations